Ophthotech, a biotech started by ophthalmologists, aimed to improve vision in patients with neovascular age-related macular degeneration (wet AMD), a leading cause of blindness. The goal was ambitious. Anti-VEGF therapies had emerged as the standard for treating wet AMD, creating a new multi-billion-dollar market. Despite extensive coverage, few reporters or analysts recognized the limitations of current therapy or were aware of research underway at Ophthotech.
- Increase visibility of Ophthotech and its investigational therapy
- Explain the compelling science and clinical data showing improved efficacy
- Build and sustain investor confidence
- Help attract the capital needed to bring innovation to physicians and patients fighting wet AMD
SmithSolve designed and led a multi-year communications program rooted in science and clinical data. Working closely with the management team, we crafted messages, anticipated investor questions, and identified opportunities for medical experts to comment on new treatment strategies for wet AMD.
- Developed new investor presentation on the limitations of current therapy and the evidence supporting Ophthotech’s product candidate
- Improved news flow, starting with the announcement of Phase 2b data and continuing with clinical trial initiation, management team expansion and IPO
- Hosted company-sponsored symposium for investors, physicians and media, featuring a panel of top retina experts
- Developed new corporate website to present the science in a clear and compelling format and meet the needs of a public company
- Managed Ophthotech’s first Research & Development Day for investors featuring a panel of 10 distinguished retina experts